[largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 17 05:12:13 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List"
<largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

>A bit more on the lens in question.
>
> This is a Gundlach Manhattan "Rapid Convertable"  It
> doesn't say  Anastigmat, it doesn't say Rapid Rectiliniear
> either, though I think it  is.  The glass seems to be a
> pair of asymentrical cemented doublets,  nothing like the
> massive Turner Reich lenses.

  I found my box of old catalogues. My Gundlach catalogue
dates from March 1, 1926. The company had just recently been
sold and there is a rubber stamped label on the front cover
saying "Seebold Invisible Camera Corporation  Successors
to.." Kingslake covers the history of the various companies
started and abandoned by Ernst Gundlach in his book on
Rochester manufacturers. Kingslake also wrote a short
biography of Gundlach published in a photographic historical
journal. I will find the citation if anyone wants it.
Gundlach was a very strange man who seemed not to be able to
get along with anyone.
   To get back to the point the lens above does not appear
in this catalogue. Its construction might be deciphered by
looking at the reflections in the lenses of a small, bright,
light. Glass air surfaces are bright, even when coated and
very bright when not coated. Cemented surfaces have quite
weak reflections.
   The catalogue lists the following lenses:
 1, The Turner-Reich Convertible. As mentioned before this
is a five element per cell version of the Zeiss Protar but
IMO inferior to it.

 2, Series V Anastigmat, f/9  a process lens, construction
is not given but its probably a dialyte.

 3, Radar. A variation of the f/4.5 Tessar with three
cemented elements in the rear. Again, the additional element
was probably to get around the Zeiss patent.

 4, Gundlach Anastigmat Lens, f/6.3  A dialyte, probably
similar to the Goerz Celor.

 5, Hyperion Diffusion Portrait Lens f/4. Construction not
shown but described as two cemented thin elements in each
section of unequal focal lengths, the lens is described as
convertible.

 6, Achromatic Meniscus Portrait Lens, f/6 A slightly
advanced version of the lens found in box cameras.

 7, Series A Gundlach Portrait Lens, f/5  A Pezval type
portrait lens.

 8, Series B Gundlach Portrait Lens, f/4  A faster version
of the Petzval, substantially more expensive than the Series
A above.

 9, Pancratic Telephoto Lens. Described as a combination of
a positive front and negative rear element in a mounting
which allows adjusting the degree of magnification. About
f/12

 10, Radar Telephoto Lens, f/5.6. Construction is described
as a front and rear element each consisting of two cemented
elements.

 11. Extreme Wide Angle Anastigmat, f/16. Probably similar
to the wide angle Protar. Coverage given as 90 degrees.

 12, The Ultrastigmat Lens, f/1.9. this is the lens designed
by C.C. Minor of Chicago. It is a four element air spaced
lens related to the dialyte. Kodak made a great many lenses
of this type, particularly the f/1.9 Kodak Anastigmat for
16mm motion picture cameras and introduced for the original
Kodacolor lenticular color process (no relation to the later
Kodachrome chromogenic film of the early 1940s). The
Ultrastigmat was evidently a popular lens for professional
motion pictures on 35mm film during the silent picture era.

 13, Wide Angle Symmetrical Lens f/16. Coverage given as 85
degrees. It is described as a wide angle Rapid-Rectilinear
lens.

 14, Emil Wide Angle Lens in Cells, f/16. Construction not
given. This is a set of cells in a box for mounting in an
existing shutter in place of the normal lens. The shutter
had to be sent in for fitting or it could be bought with a
Wollensak Betax shutter.

 15, Gundlach Special Anastigmat, f/6.3 for Hand Cameras.
Construction not given.

 16, Perigraphic Convertible Lens, f/5.6. This is a faster
and more expensive triple convertible version of the Rapid
Rectigraphic listed below.

 17, Rapid Rectigraphic Convertible Lenses, f/8. A triple
convertible. As mentioned before the Rapid Rectigraphic is
essentially a Rapid Rectilinear with the negative element
split into two so there are three cemented elements in each
half. The probable reason for this was to get around the
Steinheil-Dallmeyer patents.

 18, Gundlach Radiant Projection Lens. Made for theatrical
motion picture projectors.

  This catalogue also covers Korona cameras, Gundlach
binoculars, and, on the last page, the Korona Crystal Radio
Receiver.

  What a strange world this is.

---
Richard Knoppow