[largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 14 16:33:01 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:55 PM
Subject: [largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

> The local school was working on a project and somebody
> dropped a Gundlach Manhattan 11x 14 convertable lens (39",
> 29" 18").
>
> Now they are trying to find  a value on it.
>

> So the question is  (Jim Hemenway are you listening?)
>
> Just before it hit the ground, how much would this lens be
> advertised for?  or
>
> How much is a reasonable amount to pay for
>
>  a fairly rare lens, that has a limited market due to the
> fact that it will be difficult to use on most 8x10 field
> cameras.

   This is almost certainly a Turner-Reich triple
convertible. They are not among the most valuable lenses
because their performance is often not very good. Partly its
the design, Ernst Gundlach's attempt to get around the Zeiss
convertible Protar patents, and partly because its a hard
lens to make. I'm not sure of the 18" version but the 12"
was made in quantity for the airforce for a general purpose
8x10 lens. Now, the problem is that a replacement lens of
another type will probably be more expensive than a T-R if
one can be found. At a guess a fair price for a T-R in good
condition would be around $300 but I am not an expert on
value.
   Perhaps some old auction prices can be found on e-bay.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com