[LargeFormat] Re: Latest Camera Technology

michael at haywood-sullivan.com michael at haywood-sullivan.com
Mon Jun 13 14:19:18 EDT 2005

I have seen some detailed comparisons of one of the published "gigapixel"
images with that of a Betterlight scan of the same scene. The upshot of it
is that the MTF, dynamic range, noise, and resolution comparisons favor the
clean Betterlight scan significantly in spite of the fact that there is
(theoretically) 10x more "data" with the monster camera.

For many people the issue remains that the Betterlight is a scan while the
film camera is a "single shot" and they prefer working this way -- ok, point
taken and nothing can be done about that. You either accept "scanning" and
incorporate it into your technique, or you do not.

OTOH, the Betterlight can be shot w/ 4x5 equipment which is significantly
lighter. And has been demonstrated to me (and I have validated) -- delivers
a better image.

I for one have no interest in hauling around such a huge contraption (in
spite of how cool the technology is). Guess we all make choices in our
lives!!

Michael