[largeformat]Happy Foundation Day to Uncle Dick

Stein rstein at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 7 10:15:00 EDT 2005

Dear Nephew Les,

     Funny you should mention this. I have just spent Foundation Day weekend
exhibiting a series called " My Fair Ladies " at the belly dance convention.
There were bras, chemises, nighties, and corsets all over the shop, as well
as an Irish fairy in fallen leaf wings. It is a dreadful task but someone
has to do it....

     Foundation Day is just for the state of Western Australia. It
commemorates Governor Stirling's missus chopping down a tree along the banks
of the Swan River in 1828 to claim the place for whichever mispalced
Hannoverian was in power at the time. It was a tedious ceremony as the
natives did not charge the redcoats and no blood was shed. Fortunately this
was remedied a few years later down at Pinjar. What is the good of formed
troops if you can't fire volleys into the savages? Or the French.

     Uncle Dick