[LargeFormat] Big Old Cave

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 5 21:26:58 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Bischof" <mjb85029 at worldnet.att.net>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List"
<largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Big Old Cave

> Kodak TMAX is a great B&W film for most applications. And
> the (matching) TMAX developer/replenisher makes life so
> easy...
> Mike

   I also like T-Max but it can be developed in other
developers than T-Max. It works quite well with D-76 and
Xtol but can be used with most standard developers.
   The trick with T-Max is to be careful of developing time
and temperature. The film grains contrast faster than
conventional film so control is more necessary. The common
complaint about excessively dense highlights is, I am
conviced, due to overdevelopment. A +/- 20% change in
development time with T-Max will cause as as large a change
in contrast as a +/- 30% change with other films. With a
little care it makes beautiful negatives. I mostly use D-76
diluted 1:1 as a one shot for most films.
   Despite the name T-Max developer was not intended
especially for T-Max films. As always Kodak has trade names
it likes and sometimes applies to several products. T-Max RS
is suitable for both sheet and roll films. It will give
slightly more speed and slightly more grain than D-76. The
normal T-Max RS working solution which is made from the
concentrate by diluting it 1:4 with water can be further
diluted 1:1 to give longer development times. Longer time is
mainly why I dilute D-76. The longer time allows easier
contol of development.
  If you are where Kodak products are hard to find Ilford
FP-4 and HP-5 are excellent films of the conventional type
and Ilford makes several good developers. ID-11 is similar
to D-76 (but the packaged versions are not identical).
Microphen is a phenidone version of D-76 yielding somewhat
higher speed and larger grain. Ilford DDX is a liquid
concentrate similar (but not identical) to Microphen and
probably similar in performance to T-Max RS. Ilford Delta
films are tabular grain films similar to Kodak T-Max. I've
not used them so can't comment on quality. Fuji's sheet
films are also reputedly excellent, but again, I can't
personally vouch for them.
   Kodak Tri-X sheet film has a peculiar rising
characteristic curve which is intended to exagerate
highlights. Its good for some subjects but you have to try
it to see if the tone rendition is satisfactory. All these
films develop in the same developers.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA