[LargeFormat] Graflex Adventures

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 8 18:53:25 EDT 2005

    I recently dug out my Super-D Graflex and a Calumet roll
film holder and did some shooting with it. The first roll
was awful, underexposed and blurry, plus the images were
mis-framed. I decided to recheck the alignment of the
camera. I discovered that the mis-framing was due mostly to
the makeshift finder mask I had made but some of it was due
to the whole finder image being slightly off-set from the
film image. I corrected the problem for the roll holder by
making a new mask. I used thick clear plastic to make the
overlay and marked the limits by placing the roll adaptor on
the camera with a bit of ground glass in the film gate. The
other problem remains. I made some marks with a marker on
the top of the ground glass to give a guide as to the actual
picture limits but I could not find anything adjustable. The
film gate seems to be exactly centered on the optical axis
so it is the reflex finder which is off. I could find no
adjustments whatever. The mirror is located by the internal
construction of the body and is where it belongs. The finder
screen is mounted on two strips which allow adjusting for
focus match but not for any other movement. It is also
located by the body of the camera. This camera was modified
at some time for a Graflok back. I thought at first that
this might be the problem but it proved not to be. It also
has a Fresnel in the finder but these were standard on
Super-D Graflex's. The Graflok back has a somewhat different
depth than the original Graflex back, requiring shimming of
the finder screen to get it to match. After spending a lot
of time with this I found that my original shimming was
correct, very odd. I also tested the shutter for speed. I
use a Calumet shutter tester. To measure focal plane
shutters the intensity of the light at the tester must be
adjusted so that it measures from the 50% exposure points
rather than total open time. This is not hard to do. I made
two sets of measurements, one with no lens and a fairly
distant source, the other with the lens in place and focused
on a large, diffuse, source. Both sets were the same within
reasonable limits. The shutter on this camera is pretty
accurate at low and medium speeds. It is slow at the highest
speeds but that may be due to not getting complete
correction for the difference between total open time and
_effective_ speed. The Graflex shutter is not particularly
efficient so its effective time is significantly shorter
than than the total open time for the narrowest slits.
   I shot another roll a couple of days ago, included in
this roll were some test shots using a tripod. The results
were reasonably properly exposed although I think the
effective speed of the shutter may be a little fast even
though it measures right. I.e. somewhat thin negatives. The
shots were dead sharp. Both the Ektar and Optar lenses used
on these cameras are excellent. So, I don't know what the
problem with the original roll was. The new finder mask also
eliminated off the mark frames.
  The Calumet holder is heavy and somewhat unbalanced. Its
necessary to use the lock strips of the Graflok back to be
sure it stays firmly in the camera. While these adaptors
will work in nearly any spring back their weight and balance
requires great care in use to be sure they haven't pulled
out slightly, the lock strips on the Graflok assure stable
location.
   The focal length of the lens in the 4x5 Super-D is 190mm.
This is just about right for portraits using a 6x7 holder
like the Calumet. The only problem for pictures of women is
that its so sharp. The Super-D is a big, heavy (nearly 10
lbs) camera but very well designed for hand held use so I
like it for portrait work. I am quite sure a Mamiya RB/RZ 67
would be a better and lighter camera, but I don't have one
and can't afford one, so I stick with the Graflex.
   I know there are a few other Graflex users on this list
and perhaps a some others who are curious about this camera,
I hope this post will be of interest to them.
   BTW, the film used for the second test is HP-5+ which is
10 years past expiration. This has been refrigerated for
most of its life. The fog level is quite reasonable (low)
and otherwise the film seems as good as if fresh.
Development is in D-76 1:1.
   BTW, another small puzzle: D-76 and Ilford ID-11 are very
similar. I am speaking of the packaged developers, not the
published formulas, which are identical. Presumably, the
development charts published by Ilford are for the packaged
variety. One would think the times to be the same: they are
not!  For D-76 1:1 the time is 11 minutes @ 68F and for
ID-11 1:1 it is 13 minutes @ 68F. Since the negatives look
just a bit low in contrast perhaps I should have used the
ID-11 times. I will try this next time since I still have
quite a bit of this film.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA