[LargeFormat] Thornton Pickard Special

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 20 20:28:07 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:52 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Thornton Pickard Special

> This came over the IDCC listserve and I thought somebody
> over here might know about it.  I've never seen a double
> blind TP before
>
> Les
>

>> Hi group, especially W&B types,
>> Anything known about the Thornton-Pickard "Special"
>> shutter, produced from 1890-1929, as a front fitting
>> variant of their roller blind shutter?
>>     The one I have acquired appears to have two blinds
>> travelling in opposite directions so as to provide an
>> aperture as they pass each other at the lens centre.
>>     It appears to be all there, but I can't fathom the
>> means of setting and releasing it, so maybe it isn't? If
>> anyone could talk me through this one, I would be
>> obliged.
>> Thanks,
>> Eric Evans.

    I don't know specifically about the Special but the
regular T-P shutters are wound by a cord which runs out from
the bottom of the shutter. If the double curtain shutter
works the same way the cord may have rotted away but the
hole it goes through will be there.
    I have a standard T-P roller blind shutter but the
shutter curtain has long ago begun to crumble. I have not
had any success in finding the correct sort of rubberized
cloth to replace these. The orinal appears to be thicker
than the cloth used in Graflex FP shutters although it would
probably work fine.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA