[LargeFormat] Weston Beach (was Happy Holidays!)

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 12 18:39:49 2005

At 07:08 PM 1/8/2005, Frank Filippone wrote:

>Phooey...... I am jealous......
>
>Frank Filippone

Weather was crappy but the afternoon 2pm - 5pm was free of rain. It rained
all morning and the rain started again at 5pm. The sun peeked in and out
all afternoon. The wind was strong and gusty, which kept me from using my
Technikardan 45s. However!!! my 6x6 Flex view camera worked very well since
it does not present a large face to the wind and I can shield it better.
Besides the normal 12 and 24 roll film backs (I shot mostly Velvia 50) I
have a dozen 6x6 film holders in which I loaded some Super-XX (I still have
some frozen) just to see if it still works like it used to. I shot a few of
holders of the Super-XX just for grins.

All in all, it was a good day. The minus 5' tide was spectacular. I was the
only person on Weston beach between 2 and 5. Only saw maybe six other
people total at Point Lobos. Weston Beach is actually a small cove with
polished gravel/rocks instead of sand and incredible rock formations
protruding and heading out to sea. The recent storms basically washed away
all of the gravel so there was actually not much beach left. There was a
ridge of it running the length of the beach and large heaps of seaweed
piled everywhere. But the geological formations were out in full view since
the gravel was washed away and the minus 5' tide removed all of the water.

A great day!

Jim