[LargeFormat] Is there anybody out there

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Sun Aug 8 08:57:20 2004

>Do you know whether, what with all the terrorism countermeasures, a U.S.
>citizen now needs a passport (or any other ID than a driver's license) to
>get into and out of Canada without a hassle?  I'm thinking about doing a two
>or three or more week trek up the west coast to waste some film, and I have
>always wanted to go to B.C.

-snip-
         i live on the Canadian side of hte boarder, but since 9/11, I
always use my passport to go to the USA.  It is still not required for
either US or Cdn citizens, going either way, but I do find it sure moves
you through a lot faters.    I'll be stuck in my car behind some guy
handing over a pile of this and that for identification, and will wait
forever.  I get there, they scan the barcode on my passport, ask a coupel
fo questions, and awya you go.

         Also, i find if you make eye contact immedaitely, tell them
exactly what you are doing - for example "I am a large formart photogrpaher
and i am driving to Lake Louise to do some photos for my stock photo
catalog" - it doesn't have ot be exactly that answer, but a definative
answer of some kind, then I find you get thorugh the boarder a lot, lot
faster.  It's when you hum, and haw, and well I'm not sure, I jsut thought
I woudl rive around, etc, etc.   Just give a flat, simple answeer - I'm on
vacatioan d I goign to a resort at surry, BC, or I am visitng family in
Vancouver, - anythingka nd belvie me, that kind fo polite, straigt forward,
no-nonsese attitude will get you across the boarder faster than anything else.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem