[LargeFormat] Copal #3 shutters

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 18 02:59:30 2004

> > If a photographer wanted to purchase a new Copal #3 shutter in the UK,
> > where would he or she go?
> > If a photographer wanted to have an existing shutter fixed in the UK,
> > again, where would he or she go?
>
> Teamwork in London http://www.teamworkphoto.co.uk/ advertise a repair
> service. I guess this may not be 'in house'.
>
> If I wanted to buy a new Copal shutter, I'm not sure where to go.
> maybe I'd try Teamwork, Calumet or Linhof & Studio...
> ie a supplier of Large Format lenses.

You could try Robert White who sell LF stuff. Or do a search on Google for
UK camera servicemen.  I had two shutters serviced, both old lenses, by
different firms and they had to go back to be fixed again soon afterwards.
This is only a small sample. You might be more lucky.  I put shutters (glass
removed) in a closed glass jar on a bed of pennies contining a little
cigarette lighter-fuel and this works every time if the lubricant has
thickened up. In one case it restored non-working slow speeds and delayed
action in a Sync.Compur.  I compare speeds before and after treatment with a
Calumet speed tester.  Typically after treatment the speeds on an old Compur
are one third to half a stop slow, and it can vary each time but with
negative film it doesn't matter.   Obviously this treatment doesn't fix
anything mechanical.  Incidentally I bought a few Polaroid LF or MF lenses
in self-cocking Copal and Prontor shutters which have been very reliable.
Some Polaroid Tominon lenses have the lenses with their iris mounted at the
front of the shutter on a thread near to enlarger lens thread size (needs an
adapter) but as a cheap source of medium size shutters they are good value.
Hope somebody finds this helpful.  Philip