[LargeFormat] Re: Introduction

Diane Maher largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 28 07:28:00 2004

Wow! What an introduction! Glad to see you're thinking about LF again, Murr=
ay.  I wish there were some people local to me who shoot 8x10 who I might l=
earn something from.  I've heard about people saying 'get a mentor', but th=
at's hard to do around here.

Diane

-----Original Message-----
Message: 10
From: "murray Pleasance" <notbybread1@hotmail.com>
To: largeformat@f32.net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:44:20 -0500
Subject: [LargeFormat] Introduction

You are asking for introductions, so here is mine.
I just joined your group but am not new to large format.
In the late fifties I had the opportunity to take a apprenticeship with a=
=20
noted photographic mural maker. To start off with he explained the=20
difference between miniature, small, medium and large format cameras. To hi=
m=20
a miniature format camera was 4x5. As he was in his 80=92s at the time my=
=20
first assignment was to carry either his medium or large format cameras=20
(8x10 or 11x14), film holders and lenses. The medium format pack was about=
=20
50lbs and the 11x14 was, if I remember right, about 70lbs. We are talking u=
p=20
to 10 mile hikes. But at 16 I was up to it. After about 6 months he allowed=
=20
me to start shooting some film. I had never heard of zone system at that=20
time but his exposure method was very close. He would send me out with a 5x=
7=20
camera to photograph whatever I wanted. When I returned I would process the=
=20
film to how I shot it. Load it into a enlarger that was already set to make=
=20
a 30x40 print (a size he called a test print) expose to a preset time and=
=20
process. Again preset. If the print was net perfect, or at least very close=
=20
he would escort me to the paper cutter and there I would have to cut up my=
=20
negative. He was perfection or nothing. This lasted for almost 2 years.=20
Until he passed away.
From there I travelled the west coast photographing, mainly 8x10=92s, soon=
=20
switching to color transparencies printing dye transfer,mainly for stock=20
agencies.and galleries This lasted until the late 70=92s.
From there I worked for a major custom lab. Running the Black and white=20
division and doing the film processing. In 1984 I got silver poisoning,=20
mainly from processing C-41 and E-6 in a basket line with very poor=20
ventilation and no gloves. The doctor told me that I could never work in a=
=20
darkroom again.. Then in 1986 my office, which was in a double garage was=
=20
torched. There I lost everything. Can you imagine over 2000 8x10=20
transparencies going up in flame. I vowed never to take another photograph=
=20
again.
In 1989 I got an offer to photograph in northern Siberia for a book project=
.=20
An offer I could not refuse. As I would be doing a lot of travelling I=20
bought my first 35mm slr. Since then I have taken scenic slides, mainly for=
=20
my own use. I have been asked for prints but find that making small, 11x14,=
=20
prints that are not that sharp, not fulfilling. I am still used to making=
=20
20x24 test prints.
Now that I am living on the Washington State Coast I am finding a great=20
desire to get back shooting again. I still can=92t work in a darkroom so wi=
ll=20
have to be satisfied with inkjet prints. I have a 4x5 Wista with a couple o=
f=20
lenses. I would love to get back to 8x10 transparencies, but film cost and=
=20
processing  is just too much. Maybe some day.
I am planing on opening a gallery/bakery (a profession I started after I=20
left photography) on the Washington coast.
There it is. Sorry to be so long.
Keep up the good work.
It is always amazing to watch peoples faces when they see a 30x40 print tha=
t=20
is sharp.

Murray Pleasance

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar =96 FREE!=20