[LargeFormat] Apo Gerogons and Graflex RB Cameras

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 19 17:54:40 2004

At 17:31 19/03/2004 -0500, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Hi Clive:
>
>You're right, Grimes can make an adapter to put it in an Alphax.  The
>Super D has a 190mm Ektar and even though the camera has a focal plane
>shutter, the release mechanism is linked to the semi-auto aperture
>close-down during exposure.  I could put the 210 on the camera but it
>isn't worst the bother, (to me) for the extra 20mm.
snip

Jim,

You've answered my question - I had always wondered how well those 190mm
Ektars perform and they seem to do a  great job. The auto shutdown is a
great advantage as long as there is no significant focus shift. My old RB
is running a  Series VIIa Protar - from memory it is around 9" in focal
length and also produces excellent results.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be a lot of point in fettling the 210
Gerogon with the Ektar already in place.

The back on my Graflex does rotate a little too easily. The positive lock
doesn't! I don't recall how the Super D locates the back positions but it
is probably similar to the older RBs. Mine has a detent pin that is
supposed to lock the back in either portrait or landscape mode. The back
has been replaced with a Graflok variety, probably many years ago, so it
may be the case that it needs a bit of TLC.