[LargeFormat] apo ronar

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Sun Feb 22 10:58:49 2004

>   Remounting a lens like this in a modern shutter is
>expensive, partly because the shutter itself is expensive.
>Its a little cheaper to have the entire barrel front mounted
>in a shutter, Steve Grimes shop can do this work. A cheaper
>way is to use a Packard shutter. These are simple air
>operated shutters which have been made since about the
>1870's. Used ones were once very common but now you will
>probably have to buy one new. See: http://www.hubphoto.com

-snip-

Hi Richard;
         Thanks for the heads up on the packard shutter - I did nto know
you coudl still get them new.

         I was seriously looking at front mounting it - i have a front
mounted 8.25" Goerz red dot artar I front mounted myself in an ilex
shutter.  Fortuneably one of my friends is a machinst so I can get a rting
done to adapt the threads.  teh whoel thing looks quite :homemade" but it
works just fine.

         i used to deal with Stever Grimes before he did - bought some of
his spanner wrenches too, but the problem for me living in Canada is
customs is very "anal retentive" when you send anything acorss the
boarder  for work - they want to asses you duty for the whole lens &
shutter, not just the work done,a nd yes, you cna argue with them,a nd yes,
you can win, but form direct, past expeirence, it takes a piel of
paperwork, time,a nd you wait about a year to get yoru duty refunded.

         As a result, I ahve been teaching myself to service old
shutters.  I am in no way a qulaified technician, but I am at hte paoint,
that if a shutter just needs proper cleaning an oiling, I will do that for
my own gear.  The oils  and oilsers used for mechanical shutters are nearly
identical for mechanical closks, and  local, Swiss trainded watchmaker whop
repairs mechanical clokcs sold me some oil, oilers, and showed me a couple
tips.  Agian, I am no way anything near the quality or expertise of the
crew at Steve Grimes Inc, but for my own purposes, I am happy.  If I have a
lens that actually needs a new part - liek aspring, then forget, but just
basic cleaning & oiling, awya I go.    that's what I did  with the old Ilex
shutter that I front mounted my Artar on.  Like I siad, looks funny, would
never sell on ebay, but works just fine for me.
:)

         So,, if all goes well, I hope to someday fine an old #5 shutter,a
nd see what I can do.
thanks agian
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem