[LargeFormat] Graflex 120 6x9 Roll Holder Loading Question

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 21 02:36:02 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Graflex 120 6x9 Roll Holder

> I'll agree with every you say Richard, but I did have
first hand
> experience with film curl in a knob wind back on an XLSW.
The print
> drove both the lab and myself nuts as we kept thinking it
was the neg
> popping in the enlarger.  There was no question is was
VERY soft in the
> corners.  Other times the same rig gave excellent results.
I can't
> remember now if it was TMax film or Color neg but I
finally decided
> that the occasional bad shot was too great and moved on to
maymia
> backs. Haven't looked back.
>

> Les

   I didn't mean to suggest that the effect doesn't happen,
there is much too much evidence that it does. It seems to be
more common in cameras or backs where the film goes over a
sharp curve before the gate and especially those with
reverse curl. I think Mamyia runs the film pretty straight
but I don't have one so can't look at how its constructed.
Certainly the old Mamiya TLRs were like that. Rolleiflex
runs the film straight on the take up side but not the feed
side. Rolleis have a good reputation for film flatness.
Mamiya seems to have excellent flatness. This is certainly
as important as the high quality of their lenses in getting
the very good sharpness the cameras have.
  Film base thickness should have an effect but I don't know
whether its better to have thick or thin film.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com