[LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 11 20:48:13 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Hemenway" <Jim@hemenway.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

> Les:
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I've been inserting the darkslide
after exposure.
> Not because I knew anything about self capping but because
I suspected
> that light could/would hit the film otherwise from the
slit in the
> shutter as I rewound... I guess that's the same thing.
>
> I've been doing the same with the darkslide on the
rollfilm holder on
> the 3x4 SP when using the rear shutter.
>
> Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

  Beacause the mirror effectively caps the shutter when down
the dark slide isn't necessary when winding the shutter on a
Graflex. In normal use this is not an issue anyway because
the shutter is usually set before putting the holder in and
reset after its removed. However, when a roll film adaptor
is used its left in the camera all the time. On a Speed
Graphic it IS necessary to replace the darkslide when
winding the shutter but not on a Graflex due to the mirror.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com