[LargeFormat] bidding on goertz advice requested

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 7 17:14:05 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] bidding on goertz advice
requested

> yes i think so ,it,s a Sinar standar one i believe that
goes to 60 cm.

requested

> > >bidding on a Goertz 24 " artar apochromat lens,
> > >because i would like to use it on my 4x5
> >
> > Are you sure your camera has enough bellows?

  60cm is just short of 24 inches. I don't know what the
actual back focus of the Artar is, probably also just short
of the focal length. The rear principle point is somewhere
around the element just behind the iris. I think it will
just focus at infinity. I suspect you will have to build an
extension tube of some sort to get any range. This is not
hard to do but the shutter will have to be mounted just
behind the lens rather than at the camera end of the tube to
avoid vignetting by the shutter. You may also have some
vibration problems from the camera being stretched out with
a heavy lens at one end. Some additional support may be
needed to prevent bluring from vibration. I think this is
all practical but you should be aware of the possible
problems ahead of time.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA