[LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 5 07:09:23 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "philip lambert" <philip.lambert@ntlworld.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

> Hi Rich!
> It is an interesting claim but I doubt such a camera is as
simple/fast to
> operate as e.g. the lightweight plastic Nikon f55 I bought
my son .
> Autofocus/autoexposure/autowind/zoom in or out and press
the button.  It
> takes a few seconds to fire a dozen shots. How long does
it take you to
> change darkslides with the 5x4 reflex?  Now if you were to
argue that the
> quality of a 10x8 enlargement from the 5x4 camera would
wipe the floor with
> the Nikon I would hasten to agree, but quick on the draw?
Hardly. Portable?
> Transportable for sure. (Mack truck)  We haven't spoken
about value for
> money but I don't see why that need enter into the
debate - this is not a
> column for cheap photography.  I guess the lack of
wide-angle facility
> limits it to standard lens or longer focus, so good in the
studio or for
> portraits.  Candid shots?  Secret pictures like a Minox?
I'm joking.  It
> certainly stops the chatter when it appears in public.
Philip
> > Hi Philip!
> >
> >        A large format SLR can be used handheld or placed
on a table, park
> bench, etc.
> > The large format SLR is as quick on the draw as a modern
roll film
> > or 35mm camera.  Often today, you can't use a tripod
without hassle.

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rich Lahrson
> > Berkeley, California
> > tripspud@transbay.net

   With a Grafmatic holder the Super-D is surprizingly fast
but of course no rival of a 35mm SLR. They are not as haevy
as they look. I've had good luck with mine for kids because
it doesn't look like a camera.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA