[LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 5 07:09:02 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Hemenway" <Jim@hemenway.com>
To: "Large Format Group" <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 9:31 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

> The $1,000 I paid for my Graflex, plus $500 to Grimes for
overhauling
> it, doesn't seem too much now after seeing the price for
this.
> http://www.wisner.com/freedom.htm
> --
>
> Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

  Astonishing. I wonder if it has an automatic diaphragm or
a more complex shutter than the Graflex. There were other
SLR's and press cameras with regulated, self-capping, focal
plane shutters. Among them the well known Zeiss Miroflex.
The shutter in the Miroflex was an ancestor of the Contax
shutter. Busch also offered a self capping focal plane
shutter on one version of its press camera. I've never seen
one for sale. I think this camera was made to meet the
military spec for the Speed Graphic but it was also offered
as a civilian model. The Graflex shutter is very simple but
is not self capping and is not uniform in exposure. This
last can be quite noticable at higher speeds and especially
when the film in the vertical position.

I got my Super-D before prices went up, its a favorite
camera but most modern photographers would probably think it
clumsey (its not).

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA