[LargeFormat] Deardorff black stuff

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 4 09:32:07 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Faller" <woodencamera@earthlink.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Deardorff black stuff

> Craig,
>   Presto Felt by Kunin Felt, Hampton, NH 03842.  Your
camera is a Folmer
> Schwing.  I have just replaced the light traps on a 12x20
and it is
> neccessary to rout a channel about
> 1/64" deep by 1/4' wide in the back of the lens board
frame to accept
> the pressure sensitive felt.  There are three, two at the
top and one
> at the bottom each about 1/16" wide.
> Check a fabric store near you for felt. You may find some
that does not
> have glue on the back but is tougher than Presto Felt.  If
so, use
> contact cement before you cut the 1/4" strips.
>
> Steve,
> Since Steve's camera is a Cambo (a metal Camera) the
camera is probably
> not warped or bent so It would be wise to check the
holders for the
> light leak.  If they are warped
> (sight down all four sides of each and or lay them face
down on a
> surface you know to be flat and try to move them up and
down... get the
> picture?  Light leaks are a touchy
> problem, difficult to discern via email.
>
> Karl

  I wrote earlier to the list about an odd add on I
discovered on my Agfa 8x10. To reiterate, this was an extra
insert, covered with thin velvet, inside the opening for the
lens. It was setup so that the inside part of the lens board
would contact it. I wondered why such an extra light trap
had been installed. What I found after removing it was that
both this camera and my 5x7 Agfa/Ansco had light leaks
around the lens board. Not serious but they are visible when
shining a flashlight around the edges of the board. The
reason I removed this arrangement from the 8x10 was that it
interfered with being able to put a board with a large
Packard shutter on the camera. I decided to experiment with
some other type of trap. My first experiment was automobile
foam plastic weather striping. This works well, preventing t
he light leak but still allowing the big Packard shutter to
clear. The next step will be to try a trap made of folded
over Duvetine (a type of Velvet). The flexible felt
mentioned above is also a possibility. The way this trap
works is to fit the material around the edges of the opening
in the camera rather than on the lens board or rebate for
the lens board. This way the thickness of the lens board is
not changed and no modification of the camera is necessary.
I suspect _all_ Agfa/Ansco view cameras may have the same
problem and possibly similar cameras like Kodak 2D's
although I am not sure how the lens boards are fitted into
them.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA