[LargeFormat] Deardorff black stuff

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 4 09:32:02 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Koshyk" <craig@prairieview.ca>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 6:27 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Deardorff black stuff

> Hello,
>
> I am currently restoring a no-name (probably F-Schwing)
8x20 camera. It
> has a mechanism for front rise that is similar to my
Deardorff 8x10.
> There is a wooden plate to which the lensboard is
attached. This plate
> can move up or down a few inches by loosening a knob, thus
allowing
> rise and fall. On the fixer-upper it looks like the back
of this wooden
> piece was once painted black. On the deardorff the same
piece is
> painted black and there is some sort of felt-like material
attached as
> well. I suspect that at one time the fixer-upper had a
similar material
> affixed but in the 80 odd years since the camera was made
the material
> has more or less vaporized.
>
> So, what modern material will suffice?  It seems to be a
fairly short,
> sturdy felt like material on the Deardorff. Any
suggestions for the
> type of stuff I should be looking for?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig Koshyk

  It might have been yarn. Black yarn was used as a light
gasket in many cameras. Also check out felt weather
stripping.
  The best anti-reflection paint is Krylon Ultra-Flat Black.
This is avaialable in the US in spray cans. I've been told
recently its also available in Canada. For use on camera
parts it may be necessary to spray some into a small
container and apply it with a brush.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA