[LargeFormat] Deardorff black stuff

Craig Koshyk largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 3 09:28:50 2004

Hello,

I am currently restoring a no-name (probably F-Schwing) 8x20 camera. It
has a mechanism for front rise that is similar to my Deardorff 8x10.
There is a wooden plate to which the lensboard is attached. This plate
can move up or down a few inches by loosening a knob, thus allowing
rise and fall. On the fixer-upper it looks like the back of this wooden
piece was once painted black. On the deardorff the same piece is
painted black and there is some sort of felt-like material attached as
well. I suspect that at one time the fixer-upper had a similar material
affixed but in the 80 odd years since the camera was made the material
has more or less vaporized.

So, what modern material will suffice?  It seems to be a fairly short,
sturdy felt like material on the Deardorff. Any suggestions for the
type of stuff I should be looking for?

Thanks

Craig Koshyk