[LargeFormat] Macro photography and movements

Paul Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 31 18:12:07 2004

> Agreed, but I was talking about the film to subject distance, not lens
> to subject. I'll try to put it another way:
>
> If you start with film and lens parallel, at 2xf, then the plane of
> focus is 4xf from the film, or 2xf from the lens.
>
> Where is the plane of focus if you then tilt the lens (using an axis
> tilt)? Is it still a plane, with one part closer to the minimum
> focussing distance for a conventional camera (ie film to subject less
> than 4xf), or is it curved, with the focus at 4xf on axis, and further
> away than 4xf both above and below?

It's a plane.  Scheimpflug's rule works regardless of magnification.  The
plane that is perpendicular to the lens axis, the film plane, and the plane
of focus will always either not intersect at all (all three planes are
parallel) or else they will intersect in a line.

-Paul