[LargeFormat] Macro photography and movements

Paul Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 31 17:58:24 2004

> Is there any difference in these difficult working situations between
> movements pivoting on the lens axis and one with movements pivoted from
> the
> base/rail?  Quite apart from this, macro work is made more tricky when
> focussing at the front standard, as  this changes simultaneously the film
> lens distance and the lens to subject distance. Focussing movements at the
> rear standard (like a Sinar) leave lens to subject distance unaltered.
> This
> feels easier. Any experts out there like to advise please?

I'm with you and Jim.  When working at close distances, it's a whole heck of
a lot easier to either use rear focus (keep the lens to subject distance
constant) or else set the camera to the magnification (set the lens to film
distance) and then move the camera back and forth to get the focus where you
want it.

And I find it a whole heck of a lot easier to use rear swing and tilt, too,
since unless your lens is mounted so that the pivot axis runs exactly
through the rear nodal point of the lens, using front movements will move
the image around in unpleasant ways.  Using a front base tilt would probably
make you a candidate for the looney bin in a very short time.

-Paul