[LargeFormat] Macro photography and movements

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 31 15:24:09 2004

I use back tilt for macro work. With macro work, the movements are much
more (larger, farther, etc.) than at normal distances. If you try to use
lens tilt, you quickly run out of image circle. With back tilt (opposite
direction from lens board tilt) you always remain in the optical center of
the lens. It works.

Because of my Hasselblad Flexbody, which only has back tilt, I started
using back tilt on my Technikardan 45s rather than front tilt and have been
ecstatic about the results. I like the fact that you are always dealing
with the optical center of your lens rather than the fringes, where
sharpness tends to decay. With back tilt, you can gain DOF control with
lenses that have no image circle outside of your film size. Like my 55mm
f/4.5 Grandagon. Back swings & tilts work fully.

I guess if you have a field camera, this could be tough. I used to own a
Super Technika field camera that had limited back movements. Actually
enough for most situations. But at least they were there.

IMHO,

:-)

Jim