[LargeFormat] Kodak to Stop Making Film-Based Cameras!

LNPhoto largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 14 14:40:04 2004

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 12:36  PM, Clive Warren wrote:

> Seven hours ago, Kodak announced to the world its withdrawal from the
> traditional-camera market in Western Europe, the US and Canada. They
> will still be making film, but this is another nail in the coffin of
> film as Kodak concentrate on their digital products.

Well most of the news reports concentrated on the death of the APS
format.  At first I thought you were wrong about the "withdrawl of the
traditional camera market"  but I read the press release and yes it's
true, Kodak will not be making a reusable 35mm camera by the end of
2004.  At first I was shocked.

Then I thought... wait a minute...how many of us can name ANY kodak
35mm camera besides the Retina and maybe the VR35. How many of us
actually bought a real Kodak camera in the last 20, 30 years???

  I had to look on the B&H website to find out that yes they still make
ONE real camera (not a fixed focus point and shoot)

The truth is, they've been marginalized in the real camera market for
decades, and dropping one or two cameras isn't a big surprise. They
will still make disposable cameras and lots of film.

While it's getting a lot of press, we knew the APS format was dead on
arrival for a multitude of reasons, and Kodak dropping the last of it's
mediocre cameras in no big deal.