[LargeFormat] Re:5x7 Press Graflex Film Holders..

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 10 03:28:11 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "tripspud" <tripspud@transbay.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 10:19 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Re:5x7 Press Graflex Film Holders..

> Hi Richard!
>
>       I spoke to Alan Brubaker on the phone yesterday, but
it
> appears he is back ordered and I would have to wait for
holders
> to be made.  He also makes large holders up to 20x24.
I've put
> him in my address folder.
>
>      About the 5x7 Press Graflex, this is my third Graflex
reflex camera,
> though the only one presently:
>
>       The lens is a B&L Tessar 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 and seems
like 10 inch focal length
> and f4.5.  The package the camera came in weighed 12 lbs.
and it was mostly
> camera, so it's a big handfull.  Fortunately, you don't
have to lift it to your face,
> and it balances rather well at waist level using both
hands.  The shutter lever is
> on the left, use the thumb.  It's a thrill to see the
image 5x7 without a focusing
> cloth.

  The problem with the film holders is that the standard
holder has a ridge to act as a light trap and to lock the
holder on the _holder_. The Graflex has the ridge on the
camera. The two will conspire to lift the end of the holder
off the back. Even if its light tight it may be tilted.
Check this.
  AFAIK the reference depth for Graflex holers is the same
as for Graphic holders of the same size. You can check the
holder with a depth micrometer and a reference block. The
block is simply a rigid piece of metal which will extend
accross the sides of the holder, preferably with a hole in
it for the depth gauge, although you can use the edge. Just
measure the thickness of the plate and subtract it from the
measurement. If the holder is a plate holder a plate of some
sort must be in it to give a reference surface. The plate is
usually held against the inside edges of the plate holder by
a spring.
  The ANSI standard depth for a 5x7 holder is 0.228 inches
from the outside edge of the holder (its reference surface)
to the back plate. Most sheet film is 0.007" in thickness,
this must be subtracted from the above if film is in the
holder when measured. That distance (0.221) is also the
depth the emulsion of a glass plate should be from the
reference surface.

  The B&L Series IIb 6-1/2 x 8-1/1 Tessar is 9-7/8ths inches
FL. The front cell has a threaded back cap, very easy to
remove, so you can clean the inside of the cell without any
special tools although a rubber glove may help to grip the
thing. I have a couple of B&L Tessars of ancient vintage,
they are actually very good lenses.
  Check the mirror of the camera. These were silvered
mirrors covered with protective laquer. Sometimes the laquer
yellows. It can be removed with laquer thinner or denatured
alcohol and fresh laquer applied. If it isn't yellowed leave
it alone.
  Once you get the camera going you will have to get a flash
powder rig so you can be really authentic:-)

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com

  My 4x5 Super-D is the same way. Its a double handfull but
very well balanced with controlls as for yours. No cable
release, the thing was meant to be hand held. I've taken
some good children's portraits with it, they don't think I
am paying any attention to them.