[LargeFormat] Bellows Repair

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 6 01:12:25 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
Sent: Jan 5, 2004 10:04 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Bellows Repair

Hi!

     I've received today the 5x7 Press Graflex I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969297697&indexURL=3#ebayphotohosting

     The camera can still be focused without the rack and pinion, but I'll try
to get it fixed.
The seller mentioned Fred Lustig.

       It's a little rough, but not too bad and it didn't cost a lot.  There
was one film/plate?
holder with the camera as well as the groundglass back.  The problem is with
the
film holder.  The film holder is about a half inch larger than a standard 5x7
holder
and has large grooves along the sides.  Plus, on the inside, there's this
metal strip
in the center.  Could this be a plate holder?  It's not for film, I think.  My
standard
5x7 holders will not work without modification to the camera.

       So the first big hurdle is to get the correct FILM holders for this
camera.  I
need some help here.  What to look for?

Thanks everyone!

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net

    I am not sure what the story is with the 5x7 Press Graflex. It has a spring back like a Graphic but may not take standard holders. The holder you have with the grooves in the sides sounds like a Graflex holder. The metal strip is probaby a spring and makes it a plate holder. There were film adaptors available for plate holders but they are as rare as Graflex film holders, probably rarer. However, they can be made fairly easily.  When I get home tomorrow morning I will post the address of Alan Broadbent who specializes in repairing and making film holders. he may have more information or even holders.

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA, USA