[LargeFormat] Luggage

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 4 16:44:16 2004

At 10:02 AM 1/4/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>It seems that no matter what you do, attempting to use the airline as a way
>to transport your gear from one spot to another is fraught with peril.

This is true and when traveling within the US, I always use FedEx to ship
my equipment cases. Those that I mentioned earlier.

But when traveling to another country, it can become quite expensive to
FedEx equipment. I have insurance on all of my equipment through an ASMP
benefit company, St. Paul. When you get to your destination and your
equipment is gone, insurance is little consolation for not having your
equipment. I, therefore, always carry a Porter case aboard with a minimum
kit therein.

http://www.portercase.com/photocase.htm

http://www.photographic.com/news/10085/

It is also very handy as a hand truck when you pick up the rest of your
luggage. A while back my wife and I spent a month (we live in Silicon
Valley CA, USA) in England, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, etc... and I
used my Porter case to hand truck all of our checked luggage: my other
equipment case, two large Rollaboard suitcases, and two large hand carry
bags. Just like pictured in on the Porter web site. I carry those elastic
tie-downs to secure everything. I have to say that the Porter case is built
to work hard and last. HOWEVER, it is not built to be sent as luggage. If
you cannot carry it on, don't take it. I met the founder of Porter cases at
Photokina one year and was telling him how much I liked his cases. Someone
walked up and complained to him how their case was damaged by the airlines.
The Porter founder replied that they were not meant to be sent as luggage.
It is possible, however, that they may be building savage baggage handler
proof cases now. I haven't checked.

Jim