[LargeFormat] Hand Luggage UK Airports - Suggestions?

mark blackman largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 4 04:50:29 2004

Personally, there is only one reason why I'd try and get all my kit
(whether travelling with camera or not) on a plane as hand baggage, that
is to get a quick get-away upon arrival. Once I've reached that limit,
there really doesn't seem to be much point trying to squeeze
photographic equipment into a small bag, carry it around the departure
lounge and endless corridors, force it into an overhead locker, then
have everyone else cram there stuff in around it. I pack everything into
a LowePro trekker, then pack that into a sturdy case, using socks,
T-shirts etc. as wadding. Likewise with the tripod, I detach the head
and pack it away with clothing in another bag. All I need to take as
carry on then is film.
I believe that this method minimizes the risks in that:
1. At security, you've only got film to worry about, struggling through
with bags full of photo gear is not the best way to get any sympathy
from busy guards about the film.
2. You don't run the risk of an eagle-eyed check-in person weighing and
measuring all your hand luggage, and then having to check it in
unprepared for its likely rough handling.
3. If you have to make an insurance claim for damaged equipment, you'll
have less hassle if the stuff was handled by the airline or its baggage
operator than if you were personally responsible for its care. (I used
to work for Lloyds's of London; believe me, insurance companies love to
blame the claimant for their own misfortune)
4. I'm less likely to forget some little gadget, pen-knife, screwdriver
etc. if I pack my photobag with everything I may need. Taking it through
as hand luggage means removing all the little bits and pieces that may
be considered 'dangerous' and putting then in checked luggage.

Mark.