[LargeFormat] 5x7 Graflex...

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 12 14:22:02 2003

Welcome to the confused world of Graflex.

For every rule written in stone, was a stone mason ready to change it.
This is one of those cameras.

Graflex the company, made two types of backs, well okay three,  The
Graphic or spring back, the Graflex back, with a removable ground
glass, and the well known Graflok back where the ground glass had the
option of being removed.

The Graflex back was developed for the Graflex SLR camera line to
employ the "Graflex plate magazine" (later "film magazine") This bag
mag as it's called was too thick to be able to slide under the Spring
back. The SLR cameras, with their mirror didn't really need a ground
glass where the film went anyway.  The Graflex back is found on 99% of
all SLR Graflex cameras like the Series B, D, Super D, Auto Graflex,
etc.  It also shows up on 1% of the Speed Graphic cameras.

They are easy to spot as the ground glass MUST be removed in order to
put a GRAFLEX type film holder into position. GRAFLEX film  holders are
slightly wider and have grooves running the length of the holder to
catch the slide lock that holds them in. This is the way 99.44% of the
way Bag Mags or film magazines work as well.  Because they are wider
and also have a reversed light trap, YOU CANNOT USE MODERN FILM
HOLDERS.  They don't have the groove to hold them in place.

Now that's the rule that's set in stone.  The PRess Graflex is the
camera that breaks that rule.  This uses a spring loaded ground glass
back to hold Graflex film holders in place.  The groove isn't used but
the width and the reversed light trap are still necessary, so this
camera still can't use regular film holders without modification. You
can build up the width of a common holder, but you'll need to plane
down the ridges and make a groove in the holder.

Also you can't use common bag mags.  Because this Graflex Back doesn't
have slide locks, they modified the bagmags with pins and clips to keep
it in place.

Graflex the company made both film and plate holders in both Graflex
and Graphic type holders.  Infact I've seen a Graphic (common, normal)
plate holder that they made as late as the mid 50s.

I got mine with a plate type bag mag, but no glass back.