[LargeFormat] 5x7 Graflex...

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 12 14:18:14 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "tripspud" <tripspud@transbay.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:36 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] 5x7 Graflex...

> Hi Ole!
>
>         I've just bought a Graflex 5x7 single lens reflex
camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969297697&category=11720

>      It looks like the back takes 5x7 film holders and not
the earlier plates.  I
> hope the
> groundglass back is there, it kind of looks like it, but
hard to tell.

>      Any help on this appreciated!   Isn't another list
member restoring one of
> these
> large 5x7 Graflexes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich Lahrson
> Berkeley, California
> tripspud@transbay.net

   The Press Graflex differes from other Graflex cameras in
having a spring back. The normal Graflex back does not have
a ground glass panel. The holders required by the two types
of backs are different and not interchangible. The Press
Graphic should take "standard" holders.
   The camera does not determine whether plates or film are
used, this is property of the holder. Holders were made for
both plates and sheet film. Adaptor sheaths were made so
that sheet film could be used in glass plate holders. Sheet
film of 4x5" and larger sizes is slightly smaller than the
nominal size to all its use in these adaptor sheaths. I am
not sure if the backs on these cameras had ground glass in
the spring panel. I suspect the same back was used as on the
5x7 Speed Graphic so it well might. Ground glass panels for
the standard Graflex back are accessories which fit in like
a holder.
  The Press Graflex back is fixed in the horizontal
position. The shutter is somewhat unusual because it goes to
1/1500th second.
  Mirrors are silvered and some Graflex's used second
surface mirrors. The mirrors sometimes need re-silvering.
  Graflex's were the original press camera but fell out of
favor in the late 1920's. The story is that a New York Times
photographer was killed covering an auto race because he was
looking into the finder and didn't see an oncoming car. The
Times is supposed to have banned Graflex's after that. It
may actually have been that the lighter weight and eye level
position of the Speed Graphic were found desirable.
   The knob should be fairly easy for a decent machinst to
make, I wonder what happened to the original.
Fred Lustig is a source of Graflex parts. Fred recently
suffered a stroke. I don't think he is working on cameras
any more and one person told me he was not doing good work
just before his stroke. I include his phone and address
below, he has no e-mail or web presence.

 Fred Lustig
4790 Caughlin Pkwy
Reno, NV
89509