[LargeFormat] Re: rainbows, was R O Y G B I V

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 12 09:58:32 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Dobson" <manitec@bellsouth.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 1:07 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Re: rainbows, was R O Y G B I V

> OUCH,
>
> Stay away from that computer Vinnie the analog guy says.  People have been
> taking beautiful pictures of rainbows for years - yes before Photoshop was
> invented.  So if you want to just create a picture (as opposed to
> photographing it) why not just paint one or just buy, steal or borrow
> someone else's.  That is the same --- of you rely on someone else's talent
> (the program creator) to get the picture you want.
>
> If you just want the picture - get someone else's, if you want the
> satisfaction of creating a beautiful photograph of one, practice, bracket,
> after waiting for a beautiful rainbow or create a subject for practice
with
> the water hose.

Philip, this is certainly not an attack on you, only  chance for me to
> express views and principal based work ethic I feel very passionate about.

Vinnie, I never thought it was.
I was hoping to get some advice how to improve and I did.
I also like to generate a new discussion from time to time when people get
bogged down talking about wet darkroom hardware; I lost interest in such
matters decades ago.
This discussion group is a valuable resource. A friend of mine has now taken
up 5x7 - there can't be a lot like him in the UK although there was one in
Norway!
Is it true that half plate, 5x7 and its metric near equivalent have
darkslides with the same outside dimensions just different internals?   I
nearly bought a halfplate piece of furniture but was deterred by no
darkslides included.
Philip
Philip