[LargeFormat] Shutter speed lengthened by very small apertures

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 10 12:02:18 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Meyers" <aghalide@panix.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Shutter speed lengthened by very small apertures

> What happens is that the variables end up canceling
> themselves out. For example: when photographing closer than
> 1:10 ratio you should increase exposure. Rarely done and
> the slower actual shutter speed compensates and it all works
> out okay. etc. Ed

I ignore modest bellows extension (except for close ups and I do those on a
Nikon with ttl metering)
You can ignore a half stop overexposure with colour negative because you can
hardly see it but you can't ignore half a stop o e with 'chromes.  I try to
get a realistic shutter speed reading with my Calumet tester (it varies a
trifle every time I check the same speed) and give the shutter the petrol
vapour treatment to get it up to speed. Cold weather usually slows my Compur
shutters down.  I tried sticking a table of shutter corrections onto
lensboards but gave up when I realised the speeds except 1/500 were always
within half a stop overexp- which doesn't matter with negative film.
It's  cold here in London but if I could think of something interesting and
new to photograph I'd do it. Unhappily traffic problems here mean I would
most likely have to use public transport to get into the centre -  a
nuisance with a Sinar outfit, tripod, meter, lenses, RFB and film. I keep a
Minox in my coat.  Let's hope for snow- v picturesque.PL