[LargeFormat] Compound Shutters

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 5 21:32:06 2003

On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 05:37  PM, Wilkes, Don MSER:EX wrote:

>> glass. So, your mid-teens or early 1920's Tessar may be as
>> good as much modern stuff.
>
> When I first started shooting LF again, after an absence of more than
> 15
> years, I thought this lens was discouragingly unsharp.  I'd hold a
> print up
> close, and the definition just wasn't what I recalled from my old kit.
>  Then
> I held the print out at arm's length one day -- whoa! That's better!

I had a slightly different experience of time passing. During a
progress photography job I had gotten discouraged with Tmax 100 after
using it for 3 or 4 years.  I was shooting with a Hassy in daylight and
from all the reviews of tmax I should be getting "Large
format-grainless" 8x10 prints and I didn't think they were as sharp and
grainless as they should be.

Then I went back an printed a favorite print that had been shot on
Tri-x on 35mm.  WHOA!!!  I looked at that neg though the grain focuser
and it looked like  old Recording Film developed in Dektol straight!
After printing that neg, the Tmax looked incredibly sharp and grainless
again!

Les