[LargeFormat] Death of Large Format !

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 3 19:46:38 2003

Hi Jim:

I think that you're right. I read somewhere that a 35 mm piece of film
contains 39 megapixels of information and since an 8x10 is somewhere
equal in size to 36 35mm exposures, then by extension, an 8x10 would
hold 1,404,000,000 pixels... if one had an appropriate scanner.

In practice, my 11x14s produce 98,560,000 pixels when scanned at 800 dpi
with my Epson 835XL.

I found the gigapixel image article interesting mostly because of the
amount of work he went through to produce it.

Jim