[LargeFormat] OT: Ireland, Dublin in April, what can one expect?

Tom Micklin largeformat@f32.net
Tue Nov 18 23:28:05 2003

Hi,
I was in Ireland this past May. I brought a medium format camera and a
4x5. Carried all the film in a shoulder bag (80 rolls 120; about 200
sheets 4x5). We flew from Vancouver, BC to Toronto to Dublin.
The film was hand inspected and never damaged. No problem except for the
weight of the bag on my shoulder.
The weather (May 15 to June 1) was pretty rainy; lots of storms. I shot
mainly the 120 because it was a hassle setting up the 4x5 in the storms
and my traveling partner got restless sitting in the car while we waited
them out. We were told that April was beautiful.
We rented a car and drove 2,000 miles in those two weeks  - so we
covered a large part of the country.
I'm going back next September and will shoot 4x5 almost exclusively. The
shots I got with it were well worth the hassle. Personally,  I think
carrying as much photo gear as possible is worth it.
We spent almost no time in urban areas, so I can't speak for that, but I
never felt my equipment was in danger of theft at any time. Reasonable
precautions, to be sure, but no feeling of concern - except maybe for
some areas of Northern Ireland. We felt everything was a little more
tense up there - even outside the cities.
Hope this helps,
Tom Micklin
www.tmicklin.com/ireland_1.html