[LargeFormat] R[ites of passag]e

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sun Nov 16 00:00:25 2003

Vince,

This is actually a fairly simple shot to take, once you get the camera
focused!!  It was completely dark, no streetlights, passing cars or even
starlight to work with.  I shone a flashlight at what I thought should
be the subject and focused.  Shutter open on 'B', I walked along the
road just out of view to the left and popped the flash a few times.  I
set the flash based on my aperture, film speed and estimated distance to
the subject, then just tried it a few times.  The other frames weren't
illuminated in a way I liked as much as this one, so were banished to
the negative binder for all time.  The print of the fence was just a
little bland, so I shot the moon later and printed the two images onto
the same sheet, with a little masking, dodging and burning.

I may go back again some time and try this again.  I think the fence is
still there.  And maybe I'll save my time and do the combining in Photoshop!

And Stuart, there almost was a body in the image! ;-)

Brock