[LargeFormat] CLS 301 cooling advice needed

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Nov 7 14:28:28 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Le Heux" <alexlh@funk.org>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] CLS 301 cooling advice needed

> Today, with the help of some WD-40 and on sacrifical
chicken I got the fan
> turning again, so at least for now I'm back in business :)
>
> > And the same "sauna" works here, but only for 13x18cm
negatives  and
> > positives.
>
> Here mostly 6x6 and 4x5. 13x18 on a regular basis will
have to wait until
> the bank allows me near their ATMs again.
>
> Alex
>
> --
> "In the end it's always a matter of more accelerator and
less brake"
>                                         - Frank Gardner

  If this is one of the common plastic case blowers found in
electronic equipment they can often be oiled by using a
syrenge. There is usually a rubber diaphragm under the label
which seals off the bearing. By poking through it one can
inject a little light machine oil which will get the bearing
going again. Most of these fans have "Oilite" bearings.
These are made of sintered bronze which is vacuum
impregnated with a fairly heavy oil. They are supposed to be
"lifetime" lubricated. "Lifetime" probably being defined as
whenever the oil runs out.
  These fans usually have only one bearing. A standard type
fan has a bearing at both ends of the motor. Sometimes the
inside bearings are hard to get to for lubrication but
usually there is a way. Some sintered bearings are intended
to be periodically lubricated. These have oil holes or tubes
leading to a resevoir, often filled with felt. They will run
for a long time without attention and often never receive
it. When a bearing becomes noisy its also being galled by
friction. Lubricating it will often bring it back to life
but it will probably need frequent lubrication afterward
because the bearing surfaces have been damaged.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com