[LargeFormat] Large Format Contact Printing with Ilfochrome...

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 6 04:38:03 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "tripspud" <tripspud@transbay.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:30 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Large Format Contact Printing with
Ilfochrome...

> Hi!
>
>      Does anyone on the list make contact prints from
transparencies
> onto Ilfochrome, formerly Cibachrome?  I made ONE print
years
> ago via contact from a 4x5.  But mostly enlargments.
>
>      Is it possible for me to use the Elwood 5x7 with some
> filters?  Isn't the temperature of Ilfochrome printing
non-
> critical?  I'm low budget on this and don't have a Jobo.
> Besides, if it's possible to KISS (Keep it simple stupid)
this it's better.

>     I seem to recall that these prints are quite staple.
The
> ones I've got from 30+ years ago still look great.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich Lahrson
> Berkeley, California
> tripspud@transbay.net

  Do you mean the color temperature of the source or
something else?  If its the lamp Ilfo/Ciba chrome is as
critical as any other process. Its designed for incandescent
sources of approximately 3000K. There is probably a
specification in the instructions.
  For the Elwood enlarger the most practical method of using
color printing filters is in a below the lens holder. While
filters in the image path are not ideal thin gelatin filters
have negligible effect on the image quality. Their main
problem is keeping them clean, they are quite delicate.
  I am assuming the Elwood has its original lamphouse and
not an Arista cold-light source. The latter can not be used
for color.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA