[LargeFormat] Shutter Release Cables

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Oct 24 21:28:04 2003

At 01:35 24/10/2003 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> [...]
snip
>   FWIW I just tried one of the little Gauthier cable
>releases that came with my Rolleis on a No.4 Alphax. It
>works fine. I also tried it on a No.4 Ilex Acme (cocking)
>shutter and two No.5 Ilex Universal (self setting) shutters.
>It works fine on all.
>   Straight thread sockets are found on Kodak, Wollensak, and
>Ilex shutters but all will take the Deckel tapered thread
>type.
>   I think the idea that Ilex shutter need extra long throw
>cable releases might come from the fact that there is a
>small rod in the socket which is sometimes missing. This rod
>contacts the lever inside the shutter. If its missing the
>cable release must reach all the way inside plus it has a
>good chance of wedging under the lever instead of pushing on
>it. You can see the end of this thing  when looking into the
>socket.

Richard,

Thanks again for the tip about the Ilex shutter release plungers. I will be
checking my Ilex #5 shutters.

The problem for most cable releases used on self cocking shutters is that
they require more effort to fire and tend to cause compression on the inner
cable of the release. The result is that the shutter will not fire after
you have used the cable release a few times .The problem becomes more
evident with any cable over 6" long.  I have a number of  10 inch "pro"
cable releases that will not fire Alphax and Betax #4 and #5 self cocking
shutters!

Given the amount of force that the release has to exert to both cock and
fire the shutters, I am not too happy about using a tapered thread in a
parallel socket.

Anyway, if all else fails I do know that I can cram a Kaiser "pro" cable
release into the shutter and adjust it for flex. Just not my preferred
option given the number of old cable releases that must be laying around
that were made to do the job.

If anyone comes across some of these old cable releases on their next
camera fair trip (the season is starting again here in the UK) - then
please think of me! An 8" or  10" would be fine, although something even
longer would be good.

Cheers, Clive