[LargeFormat] Removing black spots from prints

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 15 18:04:12 2003

Don:

I wasn't thinking about your spots being black on the prints.  Way back
when, mine were white dots from dust on the negatives.

Pittsburgh Camera Exchange has a small lot of old darkroom stuff
including some spotting colors for B&W for sale for $17.99.  Go to
http://www.pghcamex.com/ and enter spotting colors into their search engine.

Jim

 > Don:
 >
 > I don't make wet prints anymore.  I scan the film and use Photoshop
to fix any spots before printing on a 2200.

 > Not helpful to you I guess, so in your case I would either use a
super soft graphite pencil to spot on the emulsion side of your film, a
4B or even a 6B if you can find one. One spots by tapping the pencil to
leave lots of little dots. Use any eye loupe or some extra strong
reading glasses, (about $20 for 3 at Costco). If the results are not
what is desired then erase and do it again.

 > Or, use the finest watercolor brush that you can find and some
variously diluted little batches of black ink on the print... spot the
same way as above, it takes practise.  I haven't done it in such a long
time that I can't tell you what kind of ink to use on RC paper but I
used to use india ink on the old Kodak fibre papers.

 > For what it may be worth, I use canned air when I load my 11x14 film
holders.  A spray on both sides of the holder with the darkslides
withdrawn and then once more after I've slid in the film but before
closing the dark slides.

 > Where is the dust coming from... oil heat or a wood stove?  Can you
control it?  How often do you vacuum your darkroom and/or sheet film