[LargeFormat] cost of scanning question - ArtixScan 1800f

Verna Knapp largeformat@f32.net
Mon Oct 13 22:16:04 2003

Shadow detail is one of the things that is a lot better with the 1800f
than with the Scanmaker 5. It really does have a wide dynamic range.

Here is something I posted to the discussion group back in September:

Oh, ok. I'll go on the web site and look it up.

"The 48-bit ArtixScan 1800f combines an optical resolution of 3,600 x
1,800 dpi and an impressive 4.8 Maximum Optical Density resulting in
amazingly sharp, detailed image capture for the demanding standards of
service bureaus and pre-press environments. Microtek's patented dual
platen design accommodates a variety of reflective, positive, and
negative film originals -- from 35mm up to 8" x 10". This professional
scanner features glass-free transparency scanning to ensure that only
the original image is captured, and not the unwelcome artifacts
introduced by glass, to yield superior image quality. Two interfaces are
included for superior connectivity -- FireWire and the new Hi-Speed USB
(USB 2.0) interface.
"

http://www.microtekusa.com/as1800f.html

The greater dynamic range is what I like the most about it. I'm going to
rescan some of the more extreme photos I scanned with the Scanmaker 5 to
pick up more detail in the shadows.

I haven't tried pushing it to its limits yet. Just after I got it and
got set up I had to move from Oregon to Colorado, and I'm still
unpacking and getting set up, so have not had much time for my photography.

I hope that helps.

Verna