[LargeFormat] An 11x14 Ektachrome shot with rear half of a Protar VII convertible

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Oct 13 06:42:02 2003

At 3:49 am -0400 13/10/03, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>http://www.hemenway.com/CharlesRiverProtar590.jpg
>
>The Boston skyline from the MIT boat house.
>
>I've added the following info as there were some questions recently
>about aperture scales and individual cells for the Series VII.
>
>This photo was taken with the rear cell of a B&L Protar VII.  Both
>front and rear cells are the same... 23 1/4 inches - f12.5 when used
>singly, (about 590.55mm), and 13 1/4 - f6.3 when used together.
>
>The unit has two aperture scales, the outer for both cells at f6.3
>and the inner for a single cell at f12.5.  It's mounted in a
>Compound shutter.
>
>The front cell has a serial number ending with 7344.  The engraving
>on the rear cell has a lot of wear but appears to end in 7343.

Jim,

Thanks for posting the link. Well you have proved to me that the
single Protar cells can perform well with colour. What aperture did
you use?

There should be a relatively modern copy of the VIIa Protar winging
its way towards the shores of this green and pleasant land - an 8x10
Wollensak Raptar Series IA 13" f/6.8. It has a 25 1/2" front cell and
a 20" rear cell.

I use B&W in formats larger than 4x5 - trannies are just too
expensive here in the UK larger than 4x5.