[LargeFormat] The Lost (Photo) Weekend

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Oct 5 11:16:10 2003

At 20:44 03/10/2003 -0400, LNphoto wrote:
>>On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 05:52  PM, Ronald Schilling wrote:
>>
>>Ouch! Ohiopyle State Park/Fallingwater is my big trip for for next year.
>>I will be taking every camera I have! Plenty of good opportunities from
>>what I've seen on the internet.
>>
>>Has anybody taken LF pictures at Fallingwater? Will my only lens, the 150
>>mm on a 4 X 5, do justice to the house and surroundings? (Realizing, of
>>course, that any pictures are better than no pictures.)
>
>Well, don't expect taking the "overall shot" The book I've seen of FW,
>most of the big, vast shots were with a 90, but there are lots of places
>to shoot around there, you just won't get the jutting concrete looming
>overhead with a 150 like you would with a 58mm ;-)
>
>Les

Well it has really been very quiet here since I have been away. Ronald,
last night there was an interesting piece on News 24 about the two year
restoration of FW. The acclaimed national treasure has been suffering from
structural failures of the concrete beams over the falls. It seems that
many millions have been spent to arrest the fall of FW into the falls. They
took the Leaning Tower of Pisa approach to stop further movement rather
than correct it. Steel cables have been run along the original and cracking
concrete beams to arrest any further movement. The scaffolding came down
only recently so you have timed your visit well.

The film shown of FW seemed to suggest that a 90mm would be your best
option as Les suggests.