[LargeFormat] The Lost (Photo) Weekend more

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 2 03:34:43 2003

> PS: What must it be like for the English or the Europeans when everything
is
> within an hour on the train and there are pubs at every corner?

Dear Uncle Dick,   The problems aren't just in Australia.
I lately drove from London west to Lands End and back home the next week, a
holiday in Devon and Cornwall ,1020 miles in all. Thought that was too much
driving and not enough photo stops -our West-country roads are awful to
lousy once you leave the trunk roads.  Too many tourists like us but some
nice scenery. Don't know about pubs at every corner- it's a fable. Train
journeys are remarkably expensive compared with carrying four people and
luggage in one car and you can't use trains for touring beaches, villages
and country houses.  Talking of which I got a very nice interior view of a
country house stairs and hall not open to the public on the day I called by
firing the camera above head height against a window whilst in the garden.
Luck, of course. As to trains every hour, my trains home last night were
amongst those that disappeared without trace when a fire at another station
closed down the trains routed through it. Fortunately there were other means
to get home.  I had been at a course on architecture and was wondering how
to carry my Sinar round St Peter's in Rome, maybe just the outside. The
weight of a minimal outfit is a problem.  I could practice in London on the
Br Museum and St Paul's Cathedral, to find out whether it's a workable
proposition    The 4-wheeled shopping trolley might just be the solution.
Philip