[LargeFormat] The Lost (Photo) Weekend

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 1 21:02:01 2003

Dear Nephew Ronald,

     Interesting post - and far more common an experience than we would all
admit. At least you did get out in the fresh air and got to go see the
things - as you said, you gave up the photography for the experience.

     I'm afraid there have been phototrips around Australia where I have
missed big time - missed the picture, missed the scenery, missed the
beauty - and come home again wonering why I went out there. In our case
tround here it can be the tyranny of distance and dustance. All day on the
road dodging roadtrains and Japanese cyclists to rack up 1400 Km just to get
to a decent motel to sleep enough to rack up the next 1400 Km. It do not
make for aesthetic excellence.

    Which just shows you how wrong you can be. Those long trips are over the
Nullarbor, next to the Great Southern Ocean, through the sand dunes of
Eucla, past Aboriginal reserves, through the greatest goldmining district in
the state, etc. etc. The fault, dear Ronald, lies not on the road, but in
the driver. I need to add 2 days to the trip and spend those extra 48 hours
on the ground and not in the seat.

     Uncle Dick

PS: What must it be like for the English or the Europeans when everything is
within an hour on the train and there are pubs at every corner?