[LargeFormat] Question on film characteristics and printing

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 1 14:40:02 2003

At 11:40 AM 10/1/2003, you wrote:
>I posted this in a Med format group, but got no
>answers.  I am hoping that someone here has had
>experience with this film.  If I shoot this with 4x5,
>I am going to use the NPH.  But would like to use Med
>format.
>
>I have an assignment to photograph several classical
>cars.  I normally shoot
>Fuji 400 NPH in my RB.  Seems that I recall that Agfa
>Portrait 160 was the
>sharpest, (lowest RMS) film on a test done by Popular
>Photography or Petersons
>Photographic.  The cars have very vivid paint jobs on
>them, and I want to bring
>out the color as well as I can.
>
>Has anyone used this film for other than portraits,
>and if you have, what were
>the results.  Also, are most labs set up with whatever
>filter packs, or code to
>properly develop and print this film??
>
>Further info, I use a polarizer, and also use the good
>light times, ie, early
>or late in the day when possible.
>
>Any advice, experience with this film used for non
>portrait photography will be
>appreciated.
>
>TIA
>
>Lauvone
>www.lauvone.com

Sorry, I haven't used the Agfa film you mention, but I have a question in
return: is the NPH available in 4x5? I thought it was only available in
120/35mm. I just used NPH in a wedding shoot and a family portrait shoot,
using the 120 size with a rollfilm holder in my 4x5. I (and my clients)
loved the results.

If you're looking for vivid colors for a classic car shoot, is E-6 an
option? If so, the new Velvia 100 is great stuff! Another C-41 possibility
would be one of the Portra VC films. If you concerned about labs having the
correct setup for printing an obscure film, you shouldn't have any problems
if you stick to Fuji or Kodak. Although I can't imagine a pro lab not being
set up for Agfa as well.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com