[LargeFormat] Busch Pressman Model D

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Sep 22 13:18:17 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "philip lambert" <philip.lambert@ntlworld.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Busch Pressman Model D

> Was this a forerunner of Speed Graphic?

  No, its a 1950's competitor. The Busch Pressman is more
like a Crown Graphic as it does not have a focal plane
shutter. It has more front movement than a Speed or Crown
does.
  They are very well made cameras, all metal and very
strong. The drawback is that lensboards are hard to find,
practically you have to make them or have them made. Some
Busch models have Kalart rangefinders, some of the later
ones have a top mounted range/view finder. The back is a
standard spring back but its revolving. There is no easy way
to adapt it for a Graflok back.
  Busch did make one camera with a focal plane shutter, a
much more elaborate one than on the Speed Graphic. They were
advertized but I've never seen one. This was probably to
meet the military specification for the Graphic.
  Busch cameras came with a variety of lenses. Standard was
either the Kodak Ektar 127mm, f/4.7 or a Wollensak 135mm,
f/4.5 Raptar. The Raptar and Graphic Optar are identical.
  The first Speed Graphic was sold in 1926 or 1927. It went
through many changes over the years although they were
evolutionary in nature. Even the earliest ones are
recognizable and are essentially identical with the later
models.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA