[LargeFormat] Auto Graflex RB Model Identification

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 13 18:08:27 2003

>   There is a partial list of serial numbers in my old
> edition of _McKeown's Guide_ Perhaps the current edition has
> more.
>   The list begins at47,000 to 87,976 for the dates 1915 to
> 9/12/1918  F&S serial numbers were assigned ahead of
> manufacture. The book date is the date of assignment. Actual
> manufacturing dates may be as much as 18 months later.
>   Two systems of serial numbering were used. One from the
> begining of prduction until 1947 and another after that.
> According to Roger Adams there is a lot of confusion for the
> second series of numbers but I think the original series is
> reasonably reliable. McKeown notes that while the earliest
> page of the factory serial number book begins in 1915 it is
> "safe to assume" that serial numbers extend back to 1905 and
> are sequential. F&S was purchased by Eastman Kodak in 1905.
> There is no data on pre-1905 serial numbers. F&S began
> making their own cameras in 1897, previous to that they sold
> cameras made by other manufacturers.
>     Although Graflex-made cameras were popular and are found
> in considrable quantity they were never really mass
> produced. According to Roger Adams there are continual small
> changes in all the models over their manufacturing life.
>
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Richard,

I know you took this out of McKeown's but while you mentioned him, Have
you had any contact with Roger in the last year or so? I get leads from
time to time buy they die off.  The last one was from JC Welch.  He
said that Roger lived in Arcada (not Arcadia) and that Mike Haneman was
going to meet up with him until his health declined.  I called Mike,
asked for a phone or address and he gave me the (dead) phone from
Nevada now 10 years old.

Les