[LargeFormat] Double Protar Lens

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Sep 2 15:25:19 2003

At 7:32 pm -0700 1/9/03, Richard Knoppow wrote:
Huge snip
>  >
>  > >   Complete boxed sets are extremely rare.
>  >
>  > I paid $400 for it from Midwest Camera Exchange.... It was
>advertised
>  > in their monthly newsletter and I RAN to the phone with
>credit card in
>  > hand when I saw it.
>>
>  > > ---
>  > > Richard Knoppow
>  > >
>    I think there were many variations and permutations of
>the sets. I have a very early B&L catalogue, probably around
>1905 to 1910 showing the set with the WA lens in a Volute. I
>think Zeiss supplied the WA lens with an adaptor to fit it
>to the shutter or perhaps to the flange for the shuter and
>barrel.
>   B&L had the advantage of having the Volute. This is a
>shutter which uses the same blades for both shutter and
>stop. The minimum spacing of cells is very small so it can
>be fitted with the WA Protar. Evidently Volute shutters are
>very hard to repair. I don't have one so don't know what is
>in them. However, the Series 00 Synchro Compur, as used on
>Rolleiflex's and older models of the Super Angulon, is also
>supposed to hard to repair but I've found them no worse than
>other similar shutters. Perhaps the Volute is not so bad.
>The only one I've seen at a local sale had parts hanging off
>it, obviously someone's parts shutter.

I have the 8x10 WA Protar in a Volute shutter - all that is needed is
the case and the remaining cells plus adapter tube...... I've not
been inside the Volute shutter although have to admit the temptation
is there. The speeds are a little fast but consistent, so have
compromised and written out a set of real speeds that is kept in the
Ziploc bag with the lens. It's a great lens but you do need a bright
day to do any serious focusing with the GG on my 8x10. I find myself
almost composing using a loupe.

Looking at various photos of the Protar casket sets over the years I
had thought that these were smaller than the Series VII cells - now I
see that they are one and the same. Perhaps the sets in the photos
were for smaller formats.

Thanks for sharing all of this info. Les and Richard. Now, if you get
a chance to do some thread measuring.......